Major refurbishment of a grade 2 listed building
Timeframe: 4 weeks
Skanska is collaborating with Bristol City Council and the Educational Funding Agency to improve schools across Bristol. One of the larger projects to date was the refurbishment of the Grade II* listed building at St Matthias Campus which was to become a Steiner Academy.
As a partner to Skanska, MSS were tasked with removal of asbestos containing materials (ACMs) prior to refurbishment works. This incorporated controlled removal of:
- 80lm of asbestos insulation;
- 50m2 of asbestos insulating board;
- 150m2 Vinyl floor tiles;
- Decontaminated of duct-work.
During this project temperatures dropped to -2°C. This caused water supply to the decontamination units to freeze. Regular checks were implemented to ensure safe decontamination of personnel on site.
As an early 1800’s building, some of the AIB panelling sat within listed fire surrounds. This meant that the removal works had to be carried out sympathetically to avoid unnecessary damage.
- Project completed within agreed timeframe.
- Passed HSE site visit with no improvements/changes necessary.
- Future work gained from client as a result of strong project management.