Industry Innovation: Asbestos Sweeper
The Problem: One of our Defence clients were faced with the issue of asbestos cement degradation from roof and wall panels on a large military storage site. Additionally, moss contaminated with chrysotile was being blown from roofs, and picked-off by seagulls, which was then being picked-up on the wheels and tracks of vehicles.
The Solution: Normally, when dealing with asbestos contamination like this, asbestos operatives would clean the area using industry standard HEPA Filter Vacuum (H-Vac) cleaners. However, because of the size of the area in question this solution would not be efficient or cost effective. Our solution was to retro-fit a road sweeper with a HEPA filter & Negative Pressure Unit, and design a safe process for collection and decanting asbestos waste and for exchange of filters. Both the design and the controlled process were approved by the HSE.
- Two sweepers were put into commission on the site, patrolling at all times during normal working hours.
- The sweeper function and boom hoover collect waste from roads, paths and gullies.
- Sweepers are driven into a large asbestos enclosure to prevent contamination during decanting of hazardous waste,
- Hazardous waste is safely removed by Cat C trained operatives wearing appropriate PPE/RPE.
- HEPA filters are changed as and when required, pre filters are changed daily.
- Sweeper goes back into operation.
- Sweepers can collect asbestos from a large area in little time
- Client able to quickly and safety use all roads around the site
- No additional controls such as air monitoring needed while sweepers in operation
- Significant cost saving against traditional methods in the same circumstance