Client: Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Timeframe: 2 weeks
Scope of work
To undertake removal of asbestos insulation residue & debris from walls, floor, ceiling and various pipework and mechanical equipment.
Objective: make the area safe to access and for routine maintenance work to be undertaken.
- Hot works >32°C
- Unable to switch either of the two boilers off as these service the main hospital including the operating theatres
- Asbestos debris and residue throughout boiler room (BR) including beneath modern non asbestos insulation
- Access to BR is via corridor which is accessed 24hours for Scanning department including emergency assessment. i.e. need to maintain access including room for beds.
- BR is mix of old and new equipment and pipework – in some areas this is tight
- Short term shift working 15mins in, 45mins out [of enclosure] – hydration packs and cooling area provided.
- Air cooling units pumping air into the enclosure – this is a challenge in itself as we are introducing positive pressure, whilst maintaining negative pressure
- Old insulation stripped and new applied immediately in sections to try and maintain reduced temperature
- BR cleaned in segments so that the Air lock could be inside the units leaving corridor clear for access
- Vents opened to external of building for NPU and Coolers using adjacent store and riser access